The APL Problem Solving Competition call for applicants for 2023 is now open! Dyalog Ltd invites you to use the APL programming language and your problem-solving skills to compete for a total of USD 6,500 in cash prizes and a paid trip to the next Dyalog user meeting.
APL Problem Solving Competition 2023 Details
APL is an array-oriented programming language that will change the way you think about problems and data. It doesn’t take long to learn enough to participate in the competition. Many previous winners of the competition learned APL by entering the competition – APL is easy to learn and fun to use, and this is your opportunity to profit from the experience!
The competition consists of two parts:
- Phase 1 asks you to solve 10 puzzles by writing short APL functions, allowing you to demonstrate array-oriented thinking. You can begin without registering — your solutions should be stored by your browser until you decide to register and submit them (not all browsers do this).
- Phase 2 comprises a collection of more difficult problems, broken down into tasks. In addition to requiring array-oriented thinking, this enables you to show off your ability to write larger amounts of well-documented, high-quality, code.
- Participants can only compete with one entry in the competition. However, until the deadline, participants can submit replacement solutions. Only the last submitted solution for a given problem will be judged.
- Participants must provide truthful and accurate information regarding contact and personal information.
- Participants may not publish their solutions prior to the end of the competition. Doing so will be considered grounds for disqualification from the competition.
- All entry material must be presented and submitted in English.
- Only entries that are received by the deadline are eligible. We cannot accept responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed or damaged. Proof of sending an online entry is not proof that we received it.
- Entries not submitted in accordance with these terms and all other rules and directions, or entries that are incomplete or illegible (at the sole discretion of Dyalog Ltd) will be excluded from the competition.
- Your submission and its contents can be used at the discretion of Dyalog Ltd
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to everyone except Dyalog employees and problem-set contributors/testers. Proof of full-time primary, secondary, tertiary or graduate enrolment is necessary to claim any of the prizes (except the non-student prize). You can be on a sabbatical as long as you will be returning to full-time student status within a year.
Competition Entry fee
The competition is free to enter.
APL Problem Solving Competition 2023 Prizes
USD 2,500 cash prize and an invitation to attend the next Dyalog user meeting. The recipient of the Grand Prize will be expected to present their work at the user meeting. Dyalog Ltd will cover all user meeting fees and travel costs up to USD 3,500 (plus USD 500 for incidental expenses) for the winner, but not for family or friends. The winning student is responsible for visas, travel documents, and other necessary arrangements, and must be legally able to travel.
USD 1,250 cash prize.
USD 750 cash prize.
Phase 2 Prizes (5 random participants)
USD 200 cash prize for 5 participants who submit at least one correct entry for Phase 2 of the competition, selected at random.
Phase 1 Prizes (top 10)
USD 100 in cash to each of the top 10 Phase 1 participants.
One non-student participant will win a complimentary registration for the next Dyalog user meeting.
The deadline for submissions is on Friday 28 July 2023 at 23:59 UTC.
You can check the competition website following this link.
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category