CCCS-ESS Essay Competition invites contestants to examine the role of competition and consumer protection laws and policies in supporting environmental sustainability in Singapore.
CCCS-ESS Essay Competition 2022 Details
Contestants may discuss the following questions in their essays:
1. What role should competition and consumer protection laws and policies play in Singapore in driving our economy towards sustainability?
2. How can businesses collaborate and yet compete fairly as they shift towards supporting sustainability?
3. How can ‘externalities’ or wider costs/benefits to the society accruing from sustainability be accounted for? How should we measure or quantify these externalities or costs/benefits?
4. Can competitors agree on the production of certain energy-efficient goods or on certain energy-efficient standards, when these could translate into higher prices for consumers? Describe examples of conduct that are likely to amount to an abuse of dominant position relating to sustainability, and explain how competition authorities should assess such conduct including any objective justifications that should be taken into consideration. Should contribution to lower carbon emissions or a ‘greener’ environment from a merger or cooperation between two market players be considered as ‘economic efficiencies’ or ‘net economic benefit’ that would offset adverse effects to competition within Singapore?
5. How should businesses make sustainability claims? How can consumers be better protected against ‘greenwashing’ in our drive towards sustainability?
This competition is open to all post-secondary students (regardless of nationality) studying in Singapore in polytechnics, Centralised Institutes, international schools, and junior colleges.
This includes students currently enrolled in the Integrated Programme (Year 5/6) or in the International Baccalaureate diploma program.
Current full-time national servicemen and/or students who have recently completed their education in the above-mentioned schools/programs, and Singaporean students in such institutions/programs (or equivalent) overseas may also participate.
The competition is open to all individuals living in Singapore as well as Singaporeans living overseas (excluding those who qualify under the “school” category).
CCCS-ESS Essay Rules and Regulations
- All entries must be written in English and accompanied by a completed entry form, signed by the author(s).
- Entries must be the original work of the author(s) and must not have been submitted to any other competition.
- Submissions should not exceed 2500 words (including references, footnotes, tables, appendices, and charts) and should be double-spaced, in Arial size 12 font, on A4-size paper with all pages numbered.
- Each entry should be accompanied by a 300-word abstract that summarises the main points of the essay.
- The author(s)’ name should not appear anywhere in the abstract and in the main essay.
- Essays are to be submitted ONLY in Microsoft Word by email to email@example.com.
Who can enter the competition?
- School Category: all post-secondary students (regardless of nationality) studying in Singapore in polytechnics, Centralised Institutes, international schools, and junior colleges.
- Open Category: all individuals living in Singapore as well as Singaporeans living overseas
Essay Competition Entry fee
The essay competition is free to enter.
CCCS-ESS Essay Competition 2022 Prizes
The following awards will be given to the winning essays of each category (School/ Open):
|Merit||3 x $300|
Essay Competition Application Guide
Entries should be sent via the official entry form and participants may also email to firstname.lastname@example.org to inform CCCS that you have submitted.
Essays without the official entry form will be deemed to be incomplete and will not be included for judging.
The organisers bear no responsibility for any entries which fail to reach the organisers by the stated deadline.
Late entries will not be entertained.
Essay application Deadline
The deadline for essay submissions is 23:59hrs on 27 May 2022, Singapore time.
You can check the essay competition website following this link.
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category