The Ebbe Nielsen Competition seeks open-data innovations for biodiversity with the aim of recognizing innovations that leverage biodiversity data and tools from the GBIF network to advance open science.
Individuals and teams can prepare tools and techniques that improve the access, usefulness and quality of open biodiversity data and submit them to this open-ended, annual incentive competition.
Ebbe Nielsen Competition 2023 Details
Challenge entries can take any number of forms, as entrants may choose to develop new applications, visualizations, methods, workflows or analyses, often (but not always) making use of the GBIF API to access data.
Entries may also build on or extend the capabilities of existing tools and features available across the GBIF network.
Entries should benefit multiple stakeholder groups, including data users, data holders and data managers.
The Challenge honours the memory of Dr Ebbe Schmidt Nielsen, an inspirational leader in the fields of biosystematics and biodiversity informatics and a principal founder of GBIF, who died unexpectedly just before it came into being.
The Challenge is open to individuals, teams of individuals, companies and their employees, and governmental agencies and their employees.
The Challenge is not open to:
- Current staff members at the GBIF Secretariat
- Individuals currently contracting directly with the GBIF Secretariat
- Members of the GBIF Science Committee
- Heads of Delegation to GBIF
What should you create?
The 2023 Ebbe Nielsen Challenge is deliberately open-ended, so entrants have a broad remit for creating tools and techniques that advance in open science and improve the access, utility or quality of GBIF-mediated data. Challenge submissions may be new applications, visualization methods, workflows or analyses, or they build on and extend existing tools and features.
Who can enter the competition?
- Teams of individuals, with no limit on the number of people included in a team
- Organizations—including corporations, not-for-profit corporations and other nonprofit organizations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and other legal entities)—at exist and have been organized or incorporated at the time of entry (“Organizations”)
Competition Entry fee
The competition is free to enter.
Ebbe Nielsen Competition 2023 Prizes
The 2023 Challenge will award up to €20,000 for submissions whose features, tools and techniques advance open science and improve the access, utility or quality of GBIF-mediated data.
The Judges will provide the Administrator with recommendations on the final number of winners and size of prizes, subject to the Administrator’s final determination.
Competition Application Guide
Entrants must complete the entry form, which provides information about the entry, including:
- Submission name/title
- Team member(s) names and affiliations
- Abstract and rationale
- Operating instructions
- Link to visuals (prototype, demo, video, screenshots, slides, etc.)
- Link(s) to submission materials on any appropriate website or repository.
The deadline for submissions is 22 August 2023, 2359 Central European Summer Time (UTC+2)
You can check the competition website following this link.
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category