Coursera offers, in cooperation with the University of Toronto, a free online course: Learn to Program: The Fundamentals. This course introduces the fundamental building blocks of programming and teaches you how to write fun and useful programs using the Python language.
About The Learn to Program: The Fundamentals Course
Behind every mouse click and touch-screen tap, there is a computer program that makes things happen. SKILLS YOU WILL GAIN: Python Syntax And Semantics, Computer Programming, Python Programming, Idle (Python).
- The course is designed for: Beginner level.
- Offered by: Coursera platform in cooperation with University of Toronto.
- Course duration: 25 hours.
- Price: Free of charge.
- Certificate upon Completion: Available with the paid version.
- Course language: English (Subtitles: Arabic, French, Portuguese (European), Italian, Vietnamese, German, Russian, English, Spanish, Kazakh, Persian).
- Already enrolled: 249,241 students.
- Course Rating: 4.7/5.
What you will learn from this course
- Python, Variables, and Functions
This module gives an overview of the course, the editor we will use to write programs, and an introduction to fundamental concepts in Python including variables, mathematical expressions, and functions.
- Strings and Designing Functions
This module introduces strings (a Python data type used to represent text), and a process to follow when creating a function.
- Booleans, Import, Namespaces, and if Statements
This module introduces Booleans (logical values True and False), how to convert between types, how to use Boolean expressions in if statements to selectively run code, and the concept of a Python module.
- For Loops and Fancy String Manipulation
This module introduces one way to repeat code (using a for loop), how to manipulate strings, and how to use a debugger to watch a program execute step by step.
- While Loops, Lists, and Mutability
This module introduces another way to repeat code (using a while loop), how to properly document your code to help other programmers understand it, Python’s list data type, and the concept of mutation.
- For Loops Over Indices, Parallel and Nested Lists and Strings, and Files
This module introduces how to use a for loop over the indexes of a list, how to nest lists, and how to read a write files.
- Tuples and Dictionaries
This module introduces tuples (an immutable version of lists), and Python’s dictionary type.
How to enroll in Learn to Program: The Fundamentals course for free
Check the course official website and click on “Enroll For Free”. A enrollment box will pop up to you. Here you have two options, you can either join the paid version of the course by clicking on “Purchase Course ”, or you can view all course lessons for free by clicking on “Full Course, No Certificate”.
After clicking on “Full Course, No Certificate”, you can click on “Continue” to start your course for free!
If you are unable to pay and want a certificate, you can apply to Coursera for Financial aid.
The course official website:
You can start the course following this link:
Check other online free courses following Free Online Courses.