The Prix Viviane Esders Photography Competition call for application is open now! This photography competition rewards the career of a professional European photographer over 60 years old, who is independent and still active. As a major player in the world of photography, Viviane Esders is continuing her commitment by creating the eponymous prize.
Prix Viviane Esders Photography Competition 2022 Details
Each year the Prix Viviane Esders honors the achievement of a professional European photographer (European Community, United Kingdom, Switzerland) over sixty years of age, who is independent and still active. It rewards a career that has already been recognized, but whose importance now deserves to be brought to light and to be included more clearly in the history of photography.
The prize will focus on the photographer’s artistic and creative approach, both on a narrative, aesthetic and technical level. A note of intent should explain the application by highlighting the usefulness of this grant to extend his work (archive management, retrospective project, production support,
The applicant must be :
- Over 60 years old in the year of application
- An independent photographer with a proven track record of at least 30 years
- Active and not represented by an agency or gallery in the year of application.
- Of European nationality
The prize rewards a career that has already been recognized, but whose importance now deserves to be brought to light and to be more clearly inscribed in the history of photography.
Each year, a prestigious jury will select five nominees, including one winner.
Who can enter the competition?
A: The candidate must:
- Have had at least 30 years of professional activity
- Be making a living out of it
- Still be making photography
The prize is open to European photographers only (European community, Switzerland and UK) who are currently in our out of Europe.
Candidate must not be under contract with any gallery or agency at any time during the year of the application.
The candidate must have turn at least 60 years old on January 1st 2022 to apply
Competition Entry fee
The Competition is free to enter.
Prix Viviane Esders Photography Competition Prizes
The prize will reward the winner with :
- A financial endowment of €60,000 offered by Viviane Esders.
- Part of which will be devoted to the potential usefulness of the grant as detailed by the candidate in his or her note of intent.
- A part reserved by the winner (€10 000) for the production of a book on his or her work.
The application should be sent in a zip file entitled (NAME_Firstname_PrixVivianeEsders) by WeTransfer to:
and should include:
- The completed application form.
- A written biography accompanied by a CV in PDF format (maximum three pages).
- A portfolio of forty images (with dates and titles or captions) summarising the photographic achievement (JPG format, each image file not exceeding two mega). The selection must be accompanied by a short overall presentation text and/or a short text per series of photographs.
- A note of intent in PDF format (maximum three pages) about the usefulness of this grant to extend his work (maximum 3 pages).
- A copy of a form of ID proving the age of the applicant in PDF format Documents can be submitted in English or French.
The five nominated photographers whose work has attracted the attention of the jury will thus have the opportunity, for several months, to be highlighted and to see their work in the spotlight.
The award criteria will focus on the following points:
- Presentation of the photographer’s career.
- Coherence and quality of the photographer’s career and artistic proposal.
- Identification of the potential usefulness of the grant for the candidate.
- January 15th 2022 :
Launch of the Call for Proposals
- April 15th 2022 :
Closing of applications
- June 2022 :
Announcement of the 5 finalists of the Prize
- November 2022 :
Announcement of the winner and award ceremony of the Prix Viviane Esders
You can check the competition website following this link.
Check other prizes and contests following the International Competitions category