In the quantum world, objects really can exist in a superposition. Tease a story from the possibilities to enter the Quantum Shorts short story competition. Entries must be no longer than 1000 words and include the phrase “it’s a lot to think about”.
Quantum Shorts short story competition 2022 Details
Entries must take inspiration from quantum physics and be no longer than 1000 words. The stories must also include the phrase “it’s a lot to think about”. This phrase was taken from Fine Print, first prize winner in the 2019/2020 edition of Quantum Shorts by C. R. Long.
Writers have their pick of issues and topics to ponder: from what quantum mechanics says about reality to breakthroughs in computing and communication technologies, or the ethical decisions that society will face as quantum science progresses, such as who has access to powerful new technologies and what they are used for.
- The Submission must not exceed 1000 words in length.
- The Submission must be clearly inspired by some aspect of quantum physics.
- Submission must include the sentence “It’s a lot to think about” (“Constraint”)
- The Submission must be in English.
- The Submission must be typed or copied and pasted into the entry form at the time of entry.
Who can enter the competition?
Competition Entry fee
Competition is free to enter.
Quantum Shorts short story competition 2022 Prizes
Up to thirteen (13) prizes (each, a “Prize”) will be awarded across the Contest.
- Up to ten (10) stories will be shortlisted. A shortlist award of USD 100, a certificate and a one-year digital subscription to Scientific American will be awarded to each Shortlisted Entrant.
- First prize: USD 1500 and an engraved trophy
- Runner up: USD 1000 and an engraved trophy
- People’s Choice Prize: USD 500 and an engraved trophy
Certificates and trophies will be shipped at no extra charge on provision of a postal address.
Total approximate retail value of all prizes: USD $4,300.
Competition Application Guide
To enter, go to shorts.quantumlah.org (“Site”), read the Official Rules, create an account on the website, and then submit your entry by typing or pasting your short story into the online form and completing the required fields.
Only online submissions will be accepted. All entry information and short stories shall be collectively referred to herein as the “Submissions” or each as a “Submission.”
Organizer reserves the right to cancel or modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received that meet the minimum judging criteria.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN following this Link.
The registration period ends on December 16th, 2021.
You can check the competition website following this link.
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category