Shanghai Government offers fully-funded scholarships for excellent overseas students or scholars to undertake full-time study in universities and colleges of Shanghai. Shanghai Government scholarships cover all majors available in any university located in Shanghai, whether for bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. degrees.
Through this article, you can check all information regarding Shanghai Government’s fully funded scholarships, funding, eligibility, required documents, and application procedures!
All You Need to Know about Shanghai Government Scholarships in China
Shanghai Municipal People’s Government has set up “Shanghai Government Scholarships for International Students” (SGS) since 2006.
This amazing scholarship was established to construct the science and technology innovation center with global influence, promote international cooperation and communication, and attract more outstanding prospective international students to study in Shanghai. It is established to fund distinctive prospective international students to study in higher educational institutions in Shanghai.
- Hosted Country: Scholarships in China.
- Hosted University: Shanghai government.
- Duration: 1 – 4 years.
- Coverage: Fully Funded.
- No. of Internships: Not specified.
- Language of Instruction: English or Chinese.
- Study Mode: Full-Time Study.
- Eligibility: Undergraduate, Master, and Ph.D.
Shanghai Government Scholarships BENEFITS
Shanghai Government Scholarship is classified into A and B types.
- Type A (Full scholarship): covers tuition, expenses for accommodation and living, and medical insurance during the corresponding study period. It’s established to fund excellent prospective students applying for postgraduate, undergraduate and pre-college programs.
- Type B (Partial scholarship): covers tuition and medical insurance during the corresponding study period. It’s established to fund excellent prospective students applying for postgraduate and undergraduate programs.
Coverage of Shanghai Government Scholarship (RMB/person/year)
Classification 1 includes philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, and management; Classification 2 includes science, engineering, and agriculture; Classification 3 includes medicine and art.
List of Shanghai universities recruiting SGS students
|No.||院校名称||Universities||网址 / Web Site|
|2||上海交通大学||SHANGHAI JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY||http://isc.sjtu.edu.cn/|
|3||上海交通大学医学院||SHANGHAI JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE||http://www.shsmu.edu.cn/iso/|
|5||华东师范大学||EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY||http://lxs.ecnu.edu.cn/EN/|
|6||华东理工大学||EAST CHINA UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY||http://ies.ecust.edu.cn/|
|7||上海外国语大学||SHANGHAI INTERNATIONAL STUDIES UNIVERSITY||http://www.oisa.shisu.edu.cn/|
|9||上海财经大学||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF FINANCE & ECONOMICS||http://ices.sufe.edu.cn/|
|11||上海理工大学||UNIVERSITY OF SHANGHAI FOR SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY||http://iso.usst.edu.cn/|
|12||上海海事大学||SHANGHAI MARITIME UNIVERSITY||http://www.shmtu.edu.cn/|
|13||上海音乐学院||SHANGHAI CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC||http://www.shcmusic.edu.cn/|
|14||上海戏剧学院||SHANGHAI THEATRE ACADEMY||http://www.sta.edu.cn/|
|15||上海体育学院||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF SPORT||http://admission.sus.edu.cn|
|16||华东政法大学||EAST CHINA UNIVERSITY OF POLITICAL SCIENCE AND LAW||http://www.ecupl.edu.cn/|
|17||上海海洋大学||SHANGHAI OCEAN UNIVERSITY||http://admissions.shou.edu.cn/|
|18||上海电力大学||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF ELECTRIC POWER||http://fao.shiep.edu.cn/en/|
|19||上海中医药大学||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE||http://iec.shutcm.edu.cn/|
|20||上海师范大学||SHANGHAI NORMAL UNIVERSITY||http://iao.shnu.edu.cn/20436/list.htm|
|21||上海对外经贸大学||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS AND ECONOMICS||https://www.suibe.edu.cn/wsc/lhlx/|
|22||上海工程技术大学||SHANGHAI UNIVERSITY OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE||https://cie.sues.edu.cn/|
|23||上海立信会计金融学院||Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance||http://en.lixin.edu.cn/|
|24||上海第二工业大学||Shanghai Polytechnic University||http://lxs.sspu.edu.cn/|
|25||上海电机学院||SHANGHAI DIANJI UNIVERSITY||https://ies.sdju.edu.cn/|
|26||上海应用技术大学||SHANGHAI INSTITUTE OF TECHINOLOGY||https://inter.sit.edu.cn/4829/list.htm|
|27||上海商学院||Shanghai Business School||https://english.sbs.edu.cn/|
|28||上海政法学院||Shanghai University of Political Science and Law||http://int.shupl.edu.cn/|
|30||上海建桥学院||Shanghai Jian Qiao University||http://www.gench.edu.cn/|
|31||上海健康医学院||Shanghai University of Medicine&Health Sciences||http://www.sumhs.edu.cn/|
|32||上海社会科学院||Shanghai Academy of Social Science||https://yjs.sass.org.cn/|
|33||上海海关学院||Shanghai Customs College||https://en.shcc.edu.cn/|
|34||上海纺织工业职工大学||Shanghai International Fashion Education Center||http://en.sifec.edu.cn|
|35||上海国际文化学院||SHANGHAI INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF CULTURE||http://www.sicccn.com/|
Scholarship Application Eligibility
Applicants for the Scholarship should meet all the following requirements:
- Applicants should be non-Chinese citizens and be in good health.
- Applicants for undergraduate programs must have a senior high school diploma with good academic performance and be under the age of 30.
- Applicants for master’s degree programs must have a bachelor’s degree and be under the age of 35 with two letters of recommendation from professors or associate professors.
- Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40 with two letters of recommendation from professors or associate professors.
- Applicants should meet the language requirements of the higher education institutions and provide relevant proof, such as an HSK certificate, other Chinese learning and examination certificates, etc. The restriction can be relaxed for foreign students whose majors are taught in English.
- Applicants should not apply for other scholarships in the same time.
Scholarships required documents
Students need to submit the following documents:
- Application Form for Shanghai Government Scholarship.
- Notarized highest diploma and transcripts.
- Foreigner Physical Examination Form
- Study plan or research plan should be submitted for degree or research students.
- Copy of the passport
- HSK certificate (The restriction can be relaxed for foreign students whose majors are taught in English.)
- Please note that application documents will NOT be returned.
Application Procedures for Shanghai Government Scholarships
Applicants can log onto http://apply.study.shmec.gov.cn (Study in Shanghai website), which provides information on universities, courses, application periods, and procedures. Applicants can apply for the scholarship on the website. The application period is generally from February to April.
Universities will make comprehensive evaluations of SGS students’ academic performance, attitude, attendance, and conduct every year. Students evaluated as qualified are entitled to get the scholarship in the following year.
Those who fail the evaluation will be suspended or deprived of the scholarship for the following year. The result of the evaluation will be announced and reported to the Shanghai Municipal Education Commission.
The Shanghai government scholarship deadline is the 30th of May of each year.