The Hal Prize photography competition call for applicants for 2023 is now open! The Hal Prize is open to photographers throughout the United States. The contest presented by the Peninsula Pulse, Write On, Door County and the Peninsula School of Art.
The Hal Prize photography competition 2023 Details
The competition categories are:
Analog Alternative Processes: Share your historical process photo – cyanotype, van dyke brown, gum bichromate, lumen prints, and more. If it’s old school and analog based, it fits this category.
Digital Manipulation: Pixels are meant to be pushed around. A whole new world can be created using digital manipulation techniques. Show us your composites, collages and all photographs that are digitally augmented.
Landscape and Nature: These are the subjects that are always around. No matter where you go there is a vista to behold, beautiful plant life to explore, or fungi to focus on. This category invites you to share your images of the beauty you find in the natural world.
People and Portraits: It’s easy to forget that a portrait is just as much about the artist as it is about the sitter. Share your photography of other human subjects in this category to help us understand who they are and who you are!
Animals: Whether domestic or wild; scaley or furry; slithery or on Hoff, animals have been favorite subjects for the camera lens since the beginning of photo history. Show us the majesty of the animal kingdom with photos for this category.
- Fill out the form provided through the submission platform, Zealous. The entrant’s name should not appear on submitted pieces. Works that contain names on the submitted piece will not be considered for judging. Works submitted to the Hal Prize for judging should not be submitted to any other publication until after the annual Hal Prize issue is published. We will notify winners two weeks prior to the publication of 8142 Review in November.
- There is no limit to the number of entries you may submit in each category. However, please include just one photo per submission. Previously unpublished works only, please.
- Photo submissions are preferred as .jpg or .png files with only one photo per submission. Photos should be 300 dpi and not exceed 5MB.
Digital entries only. Mailed submissions will not be accepted.
Who can enter the competition?
Competition Entry fee
There is a $10 submission fee for each photo submission.
The Hal Prize photography competition 2023 Prizes
- Exposure: All winners and honorable mentions are published in 8142 Review
- Money: Overall winner receives $150, first place in all categories receives $50
- Certificates provided by the Peninsula School of Art that can be used on educational workshops
- The Hal Mug: A coveted prize by submitters, the overall winner will receive a Hal Prize mug made by the potters at Clay Bay Pottery
The deadline for submission is the 2nd of September 2023.
You can check the competition website following this link.
Check related opportunities in photography competitions category.
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category