The typography Competition for Designers call for applications is open now! The Typography Competition for Designers celebrates the best use of typography as the primary visual element in design and advertising, plus new typeface designs, calligraphy and hand lettering.
Typography Competition 2024 Details
Chosen by a jury of leading design professionals, the selected entries will be distributed worldwide in the Communication Arts Typography Annual, in print and digital editions, and on commarts.com, assuring important exposure to the creators of this outstanding work.
These categories are judged by the Typography jury and will appear in the Typography Annual:
- Advertising: print/out-of-home advertising, advertising posters, direct mail, etc.
- Brochures: annual reports, brochures, catalogs, corporate literature, etc.
- Posters: concert, performance, exhibition, theater, gallery, etc.
- Ephemera: invitations, announcements, greeting cards, etc.
- Packaging: labels, shopping bags, audio/video/software packaging, etc.
- Books: covers and complete books.
- Periodicals: magazines, newspapers, newsletters, etc.
- Digital Media: websites, blogs, mobile applications, etc.
- Environmental: signage, environmental graphics, museum/tradeshow graphics, etc.
- Identity: logos/trademarks, business papers, collateral, etc.
- Motion: movie/network/program titles, television commercials, web videos, animations, etc.
- Typeface Design: commercially available typefaces and type families.
- Calligraphy/Hand Lettering: hand-drawn type for commercial purposes.
- Miscellaneous: apparel, products for sale, etc.
- Unpublished: experimental/personal work not published.
- Student Work: work created for school assignments.
You can enter one project into multiple categories as long as the project fits in each category you want to enter.
Who can enter the competition?
The competition is open to designers from all around the world.
Any project published or produced for the first time from September 2022 through September 2023 is eligible. Entries may originate from any country, but they need an English translation for the jurors.
Competition Entry fee
For a list of fees, please download the category PDF:
Typography Competition 2024 Prizes
Each winning entrant will receive a personalized Award of Excellence, milled from solid aluminum, and award certificates issued for firms, individuals and clients.
CA’s Award of Excellence is one of the most-coveted awards in the industry. If chosen, winning places you in the highest ranks of your profession.
All competition entries are processed through our online competition system.
Before you begin the process of entering a competition, please have the following information and materials ready. This will make the process go quickly.
Your contact information for registration and notification.
Title and basic credits for each project.
Digital files of work you want to submit. See below for file specs.
Entries can be submitted in the following formats:
- Digital Images: Must be RGB in JPG or JPEG format with a maximum file size of 2MB.
- Video Entries: Must be in MOV, MP4, MPG or MPEG format, with a maximum file size of 500MB.
- PDF Entries: Must have a maximum file size of 50MB.
Typeface designs must show a complete character set and a sample setting. Type families must show a complete character set and a sample setting for each variant. Each variant must fit on a single image or page of a PDF.
If you need to change anything about your entry, please contact them at email@example.com and include your entry set number.
Entries must be registered no later than Midnight (Pacific Standard Time), September 8, 2023. Entries registered after that date require a late fee of $10 per entry. No entries can be registered after September 22, 2023.
You can check the competition website following this link
Check other prizes and contests following International Competitions category