Young Balkan Designers Competition 2022 DetailsThe initiative aims at unifying the regional design scene, bringing it closer to the international audience, strengthening its potential by providing additional education and practice, while at the same time contributing to the restoration of multi-cultural cooperation in the Balkan region. Young Balkan Designers Competition – “Life Hacks for Health & Wellbeing” calls for design projects, objects, concepts, services, scenarios, and inventions that create a “shortcut” between sustainable living and wellbeing, provoking conversation on alternative and “outside of the box” approach to designing and re-imagining healthier everyday worlds: at home, at school or work, in public, in our intimate and community spaces, urban and rural environments, in our physical and digital realms. Young designers are invvited to emerge positively from the pandemic and use those enlightenments to twist and band the current “state of the art” in design practice to make space for unconventional, witty interventions and “fixes” which contribute to life-promoting environments and use nature-based solutions to address physical health, but also enhance the experiences of human-nature interactions, good relationships, social connections, solidarity and sharing, inclusion, belonging and multitude of other positive emotions through engagement of all senses, addressing neglected needs, or introducing quite surprising and unexpected functionalities, etc.
Competition themeDesign concepts; products – furniture, lighting, interior elements, everyday objects, urban gardening inventions, didactic toys and tools, aid products, shelters, home accessories, textile and fashion garments, stationary; etc. urban services; digital solutions; innovative design and production scenarios that offer economically and socially sustainable solutions to local problems, both in urban and rural environments, etc.
Who can enter the competition?The competition is open to all persons up to 35* years of age, from the following countries: Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Romania, Slovenia, Serbia and Turkey. Applicants may be individuals or groups of creators. Each applicant may submit more than one entry. * Age limit is the requirement of the Salone Satellite talent zone of Milan Furniture Fair dedicated to designers under 35. Authors applying to YBD now should be 35 or under in June 2022, when the selected winners will be exhibiting at Salone Satellite.
Competition Entry feeThe competition is free entry.
Young Balkan Designers Competition 2022 Prizes
The International Jury will select the Young Balkan Designers 2022 Competition winners for:
- Participation at the Salone Satellite talent exhibition of the most prominent global design event – Milan International Furniture Fair 2022, 7-12 June, 2022
- Participation in the Design exhibition and Conference-Workshop program of one of the largest regional festivals of creativity and social innovation – Mikser Festival 2022, Belgrade, October, 2022
Application GuideApplicants can register and submit their projects by filling in a Young Balkan Designers form online at ybd.mikser.rs until 1st February 2022 at 23.59Fe
- 8 December, 2021 – 1 February, 2022 – Competition open for entries
- 1 – 10 February, 2022 – Pre-selection and jurying process
- 15 February, 2022 – Public announcement of the YBD competition winners
- 15 February – 15 May, 2022 – Online workshops with curatorial team / development of prototypes
- 15 May, 2022 – Designers gather and bring prototypes to Belgrade for final approval of exhibits / Photoshoot /
- Press event
- 7-12 June, 2022 – YBD2022 exhibition at Salone Satellite, International Furniture Fair, Milan
- October, 2022 – YBD2022 exhibition at Mikser Festival, Belgrade
Winners of the Young Balkan Designers 2022 competition will be announced on 15 February, 2022